Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm infected!


Well, went into work today. Another few hours of training but we got out early again so I headed to the Occupational Health Office to get my TB test checked. Getting extensive testing like this done is common when working in a healthcare setting. It turns out my TB test was positive. Considering I have no symptoms and am super healthy, it's clear I don't have the Active TB. I have something called a TB Infection or latent TB. Basically I have TB Bacteria in my lungs but they are just kinda chilling out there. It's not contagious and it might never present itself but if my immune system were to ever become compromised it could spring back to life. I was sent to the hospital to get a chest X ray to confirm that indeed my lungs are healthy. I have to go to the Travis County Dept of Health Services to meet with a doctor who will more than likely prescribe me 9 months of antibiotics to kill the bacteria. Although TB has had outbreaks in the US in recent years, I more than likely 'caught it' while traveling around Egypt or Turkey as outbreaks there are much more common. So, below are my chest X rays. I love looking at this type of stuff even though I can't really tell what any of it really means. There are probably people you run into everyday that have this type of latent TB so don't get freaked out. In fact, YOU might have it.

The best part about contracting TB was the fact that I found a local bicycle store near the hospital that sold "commuter bikes." Since I've been in the market for a bike for a while that fit my budget, when I found one I jumped on it...literally! It is sitting in my apartment right now because the bike is so new I feel bad leaving him outside in the elements. Yes, it's a him. No name yet. Since my first ride on him will be tomorrow morning to CF, I figure I might think of a good name once we get to know each other a little better. I also got an awesome pink helmet! My plan is to ride the bike to and from CF for now. If I get brave I might start riding around the city more often.

Speaking of CF, today's WOD with trainers Mike and Mike:

5x5 deadlifts
Warm up sets of 95 and 115.
135, 155, 175, 185, 195 - probably should have made the jump to 205 for the last reps

Then

AMRAP 12 minutes
7 Burpees
9 Med Ball Cleans (14 lb)
11 Pull Ups

5 rounds + 11 Pull Ups. I did this workout backwards. My hands are now pretty ripped up.






In case you are wondering how the coffee experiment is going, it's still in the trial phase. Yesterday morning I had about 1/2 as much as usual and I did not sleep very last last night. This morning I had half as much as that so I'm hoping I sleep better. More to come. I know you are all on the edge of your seats. Experimentation is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment