Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day






HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to some of the most amazing mom's I know. Of course, these are just a few of the wonderful mom's, but they are all inspirations to me.

This weekend I went to Houston to go to my cousin's 3rd birthday and to see my own awesome mom. I also went to lunch with Kristen. It was a quick trip home but nice to be able to make a quick trip now that I'm living in Austin.

I'm finally getting around to reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," recommended to me by my former boss. So far; pretty good. Granted, I'm only on habit one. "Be Proactive" I think I'm good at this one but it is nice to be reminded that you always have a choice as to how you react to the world around you.

Our behavior is a function of our decisions, not our conditions. Reactive people are often affected by their physicial environment. If the weather is good, they feel good. If it isn't, it affects their attitude and their performance. Proactive people can carry their own weather with them. Whether it rains or shines makes no difference to them. They are value driven; and if their value is to produce good quality work, it isn't a function of whether the weather is conducive to it or not.

Until a person can say deeply and honestly, "I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday," that person cannot say, " I choose otherwise."

I think this is important to remember. Although we are not always in control of life, we still control the choices we make. I'm going to make an extra effort this week to change my state of mind. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment